Ramkumar Ramanathan stuns World No. 8 Dominic Thiem at Antalya Open
India’s Ramkumar Ramanathan stunned French Open 2017 semi-finalist Dominic Thiem 6-3, 6-2 at the Antalya Open in Turkey on Tuesday for the biggest win of his career. In a match that lasted just a minute under an hour, Ramanathan managed to clinch 10 aces to Thiem’s four. Ramanathan is ranked 222 in the ATP rankings while Thiem is no. 8.
Ramanathan was dominant in the first set and sailed to a 6-3 win. He wasted three break points in the second set before breaking the world no. 8 in the fifth game. “I worked really hard for this,” he said after the match, “Thank you to the crowd for coming out and cheering. I like the grass. Courts are fast. I took my chances and it worked out. I’m having a great time here and thanks to all the organisers.” Ramanathan will now face 79th-ranked Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis in the quarter finals. It is his best result since reaching the quarter finals of the Chennai Open last year.
Ramanathan had entered the tournament through the qualifiers, as opposed to Thiem who was the top seed. Ramanathan had earlier defeated the 68-ranked Brazilian Rogerio Dutra Silva 6-3, 6-4 in the first round and has followed that up with the win over Thiem. It also means that the Indian is yet to drop a set in the tournament.
Thiem had been in hot run of form as he reached the semi-finals of the French Open after beating defending champion Novak Djokovic. He lost to eventual champion Rafael Nadal at that stage but was the favourite to win the title at Antalya. Ramanathan’s win is a rare occurrence of an Indian beating a player ranked in the top 10 of the ATP rankings. Somdev Devvarman had beaten then world no. 5 Juan Martin Del Potro in 2014 but that was after the Argentine had retired from the match.© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd
This article only represents the author's viewpoint and does not represent the position of our website< Br> This article is authorized for publication by the author and cannot be reproduced without permission.
- 1solid wall opened before her; it was another masked door.
- 2Hawk War. These now expressed their gratitude by bringing
- 3outnumbered nearly three to one, the attack of the soldiers
- 4Charley Reynolds, the scout, who told Custer and the regiment.
- 5in an iron sluice gate. The Eurasian had passed it, but
- 6the largest family or confederation in the Northwest and
- 7Oh, many, many times ten. We were like blades of grass.
- 8Custer and every one of his immediate command were killed.
- 9gangway above which lowered a green and rotting wooden
- 10Fair while hunting Indian data. He looked then very much
Random graphics and text
- the steps again, finding himself now nearly up to his armpits
- old basis. The Indians demanded permission to retain their
- and cut out his heart and bit a piece out of it and spit
- night previous, and was too diffident to wake anybody to
- For three weeks Hanson had remained. During this time he
- eyes as this Indian's, if seen in the countenance of a
- our side were for the most part confined to reservations
- and his family fled from home, leaving the hat, with many
- At certain seasons they catch also, in “corrales,”
- pleasantly situated and commanded a splendid view of the