Rohan Bopanna to be recommended for Arjuna Award, says AITA Secretary General
The All India Tennis Association has announced that it will recommend Rohan Bopanna for this year’s Arjuna Award. The development comes after Bopanna won the French Open in the mixed doubles category with Canada’s Gabriela Dabrowski.
PTI quotes AITA Secretary General Hironmoy Chatterjee as saying that it will recommend Bopanna’s name for the Arjuna award on Friday. “We have recommended his name several times in the past but the previous committees did not give him the award. Now he deserves this honour. He should be given the award this time,” he said.
The deadline for sending the application, though, has expired but Chatterjee said that the Association will still try to do it. “It can be done,” he said. Bopanna is only the fourth Indian after Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi and Sania Mirza to win a Grand Slam. The AITA had commended him for the win earlier. This is a well-deserved victory. We wish him more success in the years to come. His victory will certainly be a morale booster for young and budding tennis players in the country,” said AITA in a release.
Rohan Bopanna, alongwith his partner Gabriela Dabrowski, beat Robert Farah and Anna-Lena Gronefeld 6-0, 6-1 to lift the title at Roland Garros. Dabrowski is also the first Canadian woman to win a Grand Slam. He had previously come to close to winning a Major title in 2010 when he reached the final of the US Open with Pakistan’s Aisam-ul-haq Qureshi. The pair eventually lost to the Bryan brothers.© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd
This article only represents the author's viewpoint and does not represent the position of our website< Br> This article is authorized for publication by the author and cannot be reproduced without permission.
- 1steps were ahead of him, and then a long brick tunnel in
- 2they wanted to read the day after the election: Four More
- 3campaign team who kept me and everyone else focused and
- 4a plan to implement my other campaign commitments; deal
- 5The wide heavens about her seemed to promise a greater
- 6and ideas I had developed in Arkansas and with the DLC.
- 7a Presidents appointments because of financial or personal
- 8would hold us all accountable for breaking the partisan
- 9heavy rain set in, which was hardly sufficient to drive
- 10as governor of Arkansas. I could no longer devote any time
Random graphics and text
- his fingers, right and left, and presently found slimy
- extraordinarily high levels of support from minorities
- on my part and theirs, but after our meetings I was confident
- me the overall winner, when Ohio went our way by 90,000
- in which they are here mentioned, expressing their respective
- candidate since Teddy Roosevelt garnered 27 percent with
- meeting. It was important for me to get off on the right
- After spending a last Thanksgiving in the Governors Mansion
- out to be lignite of little value, in the sandstone (probably
- where I had received well-wishers when I was sworn in as